Featured, Thoughts
Comments 32

The Imperfect Time Is Now

I am a master procrastinator. Up till recently, my knack for deferring until “a more appropriate time” reigned supreme. I set aside many a project, extended many a timeline, and delayed (indefinitely) many an endeavor, until this pattern for placing things on the interminable back burner became glaringly detrimental to the passions and relationships I hold most dear.

After years of grappling with my inner perfectionist I came to the long overdue conclusion: the perfect time does not exist. Only the present exists, in all its promising imperfections.

The notion of some prophesy fulfilling alignment of the stars is appealing—yes—but far too infrequent an occurrence in this unpredictable thing we call life. Delaying an endeavor, which you’ve deemed better suited to a more “appropriate” time poses the risk of it never happening. The opportune time rarely presents itself. It is an idealized notion that keeps us static in our pursuits.

Patience is not synonymous with procrastination, and it’s essential to understand the distinction between these two behaviors. This misleading belief of the “perfect time” enables our inner procrastinator—an inhibiting sort of character that resides in the back of our minds, chiming in with a wealth of excuses—to deter us from acting.

Our most insightful moments often arise during challenging periods, when things do not go according to plan, and we need to be our most resourceful and inventive selves—situations which lend credence to the tenet of tough times fueling our inner innovator. This isn’t to say that all pursuits need rise from the ashes of adversity (though it certainly does feed into the stereotype of the angst-ridden artist, doesn’t it?), but rather is meant to drive home the point that every moment possesses a measure of the inopportune. So, why not embrace the notion of it being the imperfect time by pursuing an aspiration or two in the enticingly flawed present?

Therefore, I hope you will endeavor to do something in the utterly imperfect now because in the end, excuses unfailingly abound, whereas time does not.

How’s that for a timely ultimatum?!

32 Comments

1. Really enjoyed this piece!! Especially “After years of grappling with my inner perfectionist I came to the long overdue conclusion: the perfect time does not exist. Only the present exists, in all its promising imperfections”. This really motivates me to be become more assertive and proactive in my behaviors. Thank you.

Liked by 3 people

• jacquelineannemarielarkin says

Thank you so much! I’m glad you enjoyed it and I look forward to reading more of your articles in the future.
      🙂

Liked by 2 people

2. I let two years slip by waiting for the perfect moment to act and then when that perfect moment came, my inner procrastinator tried to insist continuing to wait was a wise plan. Stubborn brat that it is! Nicely written piece.

• jacquelineannemarielarkin says

Thank you, Jessica. I’m glad you found the piece relatable and so appreciate your comment. I’m going through an experience similar to what you described in your response. It’s interesting how we feel safe and secure when we refrain from acting as opposed to following through on something. Particularly when there is often so much more to ‘lose’ by not acting!

• jacquelineannemarielarkin says

Thank you so much, Tim! That’s amazing and I so appreciate the support. I look forward to following your posts and checking out more of your blog.

• jacquelineannemarielarkin says

Thank you, Jessie! I really love the name of your blog and cannot tell you how ‘in need’ I am of someone with your kind of know-how. Looking forward to following your posts to see what tips and tricks you provide!

Liked by 1 person

3. Wow ! What a wonderful post, totally relatable. The difference between patience and procrastination, loved that part. Fellow procrastinator here… 🙂 Hope to read more from you.

• jacquelineannemarielarkin says

Thank you for taking the time to read it! I really appreciate it and also love the layout and theme of your blog – it’s very clever. I’m looking forward to seeing more!

Liked by 1 person

4. This is such a great read for artists like myself who procrastinate all the time! My perfectionist tendencies get in my way more than anything. I am truly working on creating now when the inspiration is fresh and not waiting for some other time to make it happen.

• jacquelineannemarielarkin says

Thank you. I’m so glad to hear you found the post relatable and I look forward to checking out your blog as well!

Liked by 1 person

5. Hey Jackie! I really loved your post, especially since its so relatable to me as well. The part where you talk about the perfect time not existing is quite interesting as we all have been told by ourselves or someone else to constantly wait for that “perfect time”. It portrays how we ourselves are capable of making that perfect time without letting our inner procrastinator come out.
    All the best for your blog:)

Liked by 1 person

6. Time is our most precious commodity. I read a post this morning that said to not spend money to buy stuff, but to spend money to buy time. Thanks for posting!-Emily from freedomlaughs.wordpress.com

Liked by 1 person

7. The key is to find the approach that keeps you going. I strive for perfection knowing it doesn’t exist. Therefore I have to create imperfect projects now so I can refine them tomorrow.

8. raindropsdaily says

I loved it! That’s me! But not only that I am waiting for the perfect time but I am also still searching for the perfect words.
    I liked your writing creativity. I would definitely follow your blogs ❤

Liked by 1 person

9. “I am a master procrastinator” – what a perfect opening. I relate big time.

The big trouble i have with it is that i can often decide to take action or do something without sufficient preparation/thought/research in the desire to get ‘something’ done that kinda backfires on me somewhat – But hey ho! – life is about finding the balance in all things – right?

Loved your post.

Liked by 1 person

• It’s so true! Sheltered time to plot things out, think things through, envision different scenarios and possibilities, and as you mentioned, research, are as essential to the process as the resulting “action” itself.

I read recently that it’s important to study what you want to write. I think the same strategy can be applied to other pursuits, both artistic and practical. You need to study what it is you want to accomplish, whether it’s writing a novel or renovating a home. Then let the ideas percolate, experiment a bit, and take action in a far more informed (and subsequently seamless) way.